Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kids and Creative Exploration

You have to love what is available to share with kids in creative exploration. I came along to these fields in technology a bit later, (yes, I am dating myself) but as they say its never too late to learn. 
Many children now are introduced to creative programs on their computers in Kindergarten. (and actually much sooner than that now).  


I had the pleasure of exploring some courses this past winter, with some great instructors at Brock U. This was a new realm for me, something that some of our younger generations had already experienced in one way or another. The elements of Graphic design.  After only a few classes, and instructors who could relate their teaching to our specific fields I could see how  this information could be applied to a field that I love so much. Sewing.  I would love to explore this with my sewing students. 


California Sunset Laguna Beach
Working with Adobe Photoshop, In Design,  and Illustrator I began to understand designing  fabric prints. Wow! I was so consumed with the results that I have shared this as part of our sewing curriculum for our young learners. And I am just as fascinated with the prospect of creating printed fabrics, a fabric line, and the end result, designed projects with these fabrics even if it just stays as an idea..............We are all having so much fun learning. 


They can print their creative prints on printer fabric to start.


Just another creative exploration trail for you to follow if you are  teaching kids of all ages to sew. I am sure your students will have lots of hints to help you along..................as they have already shared many with me. You have to love what teaching and learning has to offer for all of us.




Thank you Aldo, James and Paxton for great insight into the world of graphics and media design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment